To be fair, every writer has this list.
- Bought a book of Native American herbs. Why? Because the internet was being surprisingly unhelpful in this matter.
- Keep a list of every last name I run into.
- Draw over a map.
- Came up with an entire alphabet. For a book that I’m not working on and probably won’t be working on for a good long while.
- Kept a bunch of home decorating pamphlets from Home Depot because I was having problems.
- Researched different types of grain, and then used it as a name list.
- Put hours of work into a story that’s set into someone else’s world for no reward but the space it filled being emptied.
- Came up with an entirely different system of schooling, for a book that I’m not working on and probably won’t be working on for even longer than the book mentioned in #4, and then decided I’m not going to use that.